Greetings from 36 weeks of pregnancy! I really didn’t know if I would be one of those people who would be “over” being pregnant, since I’ve had a relatively easy pregnancy. But, after 8 months of this, I can safely say that I’m ready for the next phase. My walk is now a waddle, getting out of bed requires a physical momentum that’s becoming harder and harder to muster up, and it’s starting to feel like no amount of squats is ever going to bring my butt back.
That being said, I figured it’s as good of a time as ever to look back at the past months and get into exactly what got me through every step of the way. There are sooooo many products being peddled at you at this time, but there’s only a few that I found I couldn’t live without. So let’s dive in.
Mostly Glossy Maternity Must-Haves
- Prenatal: I started off taking these from New Chapter two months before I got pregnant, and for some reason, my gut tells me that they definitely helped me get pregnant as quickly as I did. After I ran out, I switched to Ritual’s Prenatal (I got them for free) and loved that they taste like lemon and that you only needed to take two, but went back to the New Chapter version when those ran out.
- Rent The Runway Unlimited: I can’t say enough about my RTR being a must-have when you’re pregnant. To me, there is nothing worse than having to spend a bazillion dollars on a ton of unflattering maternity clothes that you’re not excited to wear. I never wanted to look like a ‘mom’ – and even the “cool” maternity lines are really sorta (very) lame. Instead, I invested in RTR Unlimited, and sized up in everything. It was a lifesaver, especially for work events, special occasions like bridal showers, etc.
- Kinesiology Tape: GAME CHANGER if you have back pain. Gaining weight so quickly took a major toll on my back, and this stuff saved my life. I watched some quick tutorials on YouTube and voila: Back pain be gone. I used the “baby belt” technique from this video. It is totally invisible under clothing, you can shower with it on, and it lasts for 3-5 days. Unlike a belly band, you aren’t adding an extra layer to your outfits each day.
- Belly Oil/Butter: I switched between Mama Mio Tummy Rub Butter, Mama Mio Tummy Rub Oil, and Augustinus Bader’s The Body Cream. I haven’t had a stretch mark in sight – but most of all, these three have stopped the crazy itchiness that comes with your skin stretching. I make sure to slather myself every single night from chest to thighs.
- Humidifier: I’ve been so stuffed up my entire pregnancy, and turning this on at night helps me wake up less congested. When I’m trying to zen out, I pop in an essential oil.
- Compression Socks: Obsessed with these and wish I had bought them sooner.
- Pregnancy Pillow: I got this during my first trimester and haven’t slept without it since. I’ve only had a handful of sleepless nights, and I’m convinced it’s because of this pillow.
- Natural Calm Magnesium Powder: Those sleepless nights I mentioned? Natural Calm is the only thing that got me back on track. It’s also amazing if you get leg cramps (which once were so painful for me, that I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital at 3AM!). Mix it into a non-caffeinated tea or drink before bed and let it work its magic.
- Laniege Lip Sleeping Mask: My lips are naturally super dry if I’m not constantly slathering on lip balm, and pregnancy has made them even drier, so this has been even more of a must-have than ever.
- Cute Sneakers: I’m not a heels gal to begin with, but as you get bigger, and bigger (and bigger), rocking a cute pair of sneakers is both comfy and necessary – plus it adds a cool look to any plain outfit.
- Prenatal Massages: Pre-COVID, this was my ultimate indulgence. I’m constantly on the move, and add that with the weight gain, my back pain has been my biggest complaint. The prenatal massages I got were the most delicious treat ever. If someone asks you what they can get you as a gift during this time, I highly recommend trying one (with your doctor’s permission).